Saturday, March 26, 2011

How important is concentration in our lives?

Because of my previous post about concentration meditation, I feel I should give you some of my experiences of how stronger concentration has improved my life.

Often I hear people saying they wish they could concentrate better. I think if they fully realized the benefits, they would make more effort to improve.

Better concentration has allowed me to:
  • Keep focused at work and school
  • Read faster
  • Multi-task better
  • Ignore distracting sounds and other distractions
  • Focus on solving problems rather than being caught up in them
  • Commit things to memory that I want to
  • Understand nuances in social situations
  • Read non verbal language better
  • Listen to others more fully
  • Know what I really want in life vs. what I think I want
  • Connect past events to current moods
  • Learn which people are good and bad influences in my life
  • Stop bad moods early, before they get out of control
  • Remove my destructive habits, one by one
  • Increase my willpower
  • Put my plans and dreams into action

Of course I'm not perfect at these things. But they have all become easier the more I have improved my ability to concentrate.

If you don't really care about any of these things, then maybe concentration exercises aren't for you.

But if any of these sound like good ideas to you, I highly recommend you take up some form of regular exercise to improve your concentration, whether it is the exercise above, or something else.

The particular form is less important than doing something. Just like the body, if you want to have a healthy mind, you need to exercise it.