Friday, February 25, 2011

What is a traveling experientialist?

To begin the blog I felt it was appropriate to start with a definition:

Experientialism(n).
The philosophical theory that experience is the source of all knowledge.

Travel(n).
To go from one place to another, as on a trip; journey.

The definition of experientialism is easy. In this blog I hope to share some of my personal observations and the conclusions I draw from them. My history as an Insight meditator, or Vipassana meditator has taught me the value of learning through direct observation.

Traveling is a little more detailed.

As an Australian who has lived in France, currently living in Thailand, and planning to live in South Korea, I meet the definition of "going from one place to another".

But as an experientialist observer, the metaphor is often more real than the literal. To me real travel occurs in the mind, through a change in perception. We gain in experience and our mental landscape changes.

Living abroad gives a person opportunity to observe, should they take it.

This is my attempt.